Wednesday, 10 February 2016






Back in 1973 I was at art school and I was required to write a dissertation as part of the final year. I told them it would be about comics. In those days comics weren't as prominent as they are today, and completely absent from art schools. At the time I was besotted with the work of a relatively new artist (to me) Neil Adams.  Without telling anyone I decided the whole dissertation would be about him. I submitted the finished thing and I was summoned to the office of the tutor in charge of dissertations. Since he'd never heard of Neil Adams he wasn't sure I hadn't made him up and the whole thing wasn't an elaborate hoax. I convinced him he was real and I was genuine (he conceded that Adams was a very good draughtsman) and I got quite a good mark.

All this to show what a big Neil Adams fan I've always been. I inked him once before but I've just seen this and I wish I could show it to the 22 year old me. All credit to the colourist who added immeasurable amounts of zing.

11 comments:

  1. I'll take it as read that your Neil Adams is the same Neal Adams that the rest of us are familiar with. Wouldn't surprise me to learn that Neal's a big fan of an artist called Bryan Bolland. (Only funnin'.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops! I didn't think to check the spelling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brian!
      My name is Marina and I'm in charge of ComicCon RS (www.facebook.com/comicconrs), a Brazilian event that takes place late August 2016 at the state of Rio Grande do Sul, and I would love to invite you to join our team of guests for this year. Our event has featured the presence of various artists such as Peter Milligan, Ivan Reis, Joe Prado, Eduardo Risso, Salvador Sanz, Eddy Barrows, so as others who can attest to the quality of our organization and attention we give to guests. Our proposal includes tickets to Porto Alegre, accommodation, transportation and feed fees in the city throughout the event. You will also have a table in our Artists Alley, if you want. What do you think? Thanks for your attention! My email is imprensa.mcc@gmail.com.

      Delete
  3. That must've been such a great moment for you! Looks like a great collaboration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What book is this for?
    Just when i think i have everything you've done, another gem pops up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aquaman # 49 - Neal Adams variant cover - released today 02/24

    ReplyDelete
  6. Any chance of seeing the b/w of this, it's really quite marvellous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Brian, I emailed you those WW pencil scans we discussed at the London con, hope you got them. Karl

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Brian, ¿would it be possible to read your dissertation? I love the work of both of you and I'm a scholar in the field of the comic book studies (I live and work in Argentina). I will really appreciate your help. Sincerely yours, Rodrigo Ottonello (rodrigoottonello@hotmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Sir! Reading your dissertation would be very informative! Someone must want to finance the scanning of the pages... or is it online for free in the Art School where you studied? You might want to have it published, too! For sure, it would sell respectably! Anyway, anyone scholarly interested in comic books probably wants to know what you stated at the time about Mr. Adams' artwork! What can we do to help you share your dissertation?

    ReplyDelete